Reading Renaissance is a set of teaching techniques that includes test and practice components. Accelerated Reader (AR) is learning information software designed to help teachers motivate, monitor, and manage student reading practice.
1. Selects a book at the appropriate book level
2. Reads the book
3. Takes an AR quiz on the computer.
Teachers monitor and use data from the program to optimize growth.
Reading Renaissance Goals at Kingsley Charter School
- Foster a love of reading in all students
- Accelerate growth in reading ability
- Develop lifelong readers and critical thinkers
- Improve test scores
Kingsley's library books are marked using the ZPD dot system to indicate each book's reading difficulty level. Students are assessed regularly to determine their reading level and are notified of what dot level they should be reading.